Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Week 25: Rainbow/Pride

Hello, my fellow hobbyists! This week's theme in the Year's Challenge is "Pride/Rainbow mani". I couldn't think of any way to make this more Pride and less Rainbow other than adding LGBT symbols, which I think might have been just a bit too much for my office. If you have any suggestions, please share. I'll probably facepalm for not thinking of something, but I've got a few nails left - I might add your suggestion! In the meantime, here's my rainbow!


I'm not real sure what happened to the cloud on my index finger. That's two full layers of Milani Whitest White over those stripes, and it was fully dry and opaque when I put my Seche Vite on it. I noticed before I went to bed last night that the green and purple stripes were very faintly visible as dark lines...but this morning when I got up, there's full blown green and purple lines there! I didn't really have time before work to add another layer of white and another top coat, so this is what you get. (Of course, one of my co-workers suggested that I not admit to that being an error and just call it a cool special effect! ;)

A few weeks back, I realized that the only pale blue I have is my Sally Girl Coconut, and it's a grey-toned blue. I wanted a nice light baby blue, so I asked for suggestions on Polishaholics Anonymous. I got a list of great suggestions, but none of them were exactly what I wanted. I was planning on picking up Essie Borrowed and Blue as well as China Glaze Bahamian Escape, though the Essie was really lighter than I wanted, and the China Glaze darker. Then I got ahold of a $10 Copious credit, and lo and behold if I didn't find a bottle of Color Club Take Me To Your Chateau, which hadn't even been on the list of recommendations! The swatches I saw on the 'net varied a bit, but I thought it had a good chance of being what I was looking for, so I bought it. (Besides, I couldn't go wrong with polish for a penny!) It turned out the polish gods were favoring me, because it's exactly what I was looking for! 


Look at that gorgeous creaminess! It's opaque in one coat, but a little thick and streaky, but two coats evens it out just perfectly. I wanted a shimmery rainbow, so I picked out Zoya Karina, Sinful Colors Courtney Orange, China Glaze Solar Power, Sinful Colors San Francisco, Pure Ice Strapless, and Sinful Colors Daddy's Girl. While my striping may lack some professionalism, those colors don't! They just POP! My nails are so awesome today - I keep stealing glances at them as they dance over my keyboard.

On my other hand I wanted to try some different things, so I experimented a bit. I wasn't happy with my attempt at a fishtail braid (next time, bigger stripes and more drying time between stripes!) but my middle nail turned out better than I could have hoped for.


I used the same striper brush on the fishtail as I did on the rainbow on my left hand, and really, the stripes are too narrow for the pattern to show. It just looks like a mash of colors, and it's really dark with the yellow really popping out more than it ought. To make the blended nail, I did two colors at a time, like you do for a one-stroke flower. A dot of red on my palette next to a dot of orange, put both on my brush at the same time, and swipe it across my nail. I made sure to go over each stroke a couple of times to blend the colors together, and then I cleaned my brush and did the next section with orange and yellow at once. The orange section actually looks more orange and less muddy brown in real life, but it's just a gorgeous feathered texture, a wind-blown rainbow across my nail!

   



No comments:

Post a Comment