Thursday, May 17, 2012

Monkey See, Monkey Do - Lightning!

I know it's not Monday, but I really don't want to wait until Monkey See Monday to post these, and I haven't been participating before now, anyway. So without further ado...no, wait, let me explain...there is too much. Let me sum up! I have this awesome nail art pinned to my pinterest board:

It was created, of course, by Theodora over at Red Hair and Black Nail Polish. And I wasn't feeling very creative last night, but V had naked nails, so I let her loose on my pinterest board, and said, "Pick something!" She tried to get my opinion several times, to which is wiggled my hand at her and said something along the lines of, "Nyahahaah! Not choosing! You pick something!" Of course, because V is my bestest bud ever, she just laughed at me and didn't take offense. (I did tell her that I didn't want to attempt water marbling on a weeknight, so that eliminated some of her chocies, but other than that, I pretty much didn't veto anything that wasn't already marked "I can't do this, I just think it's awesome.") After much hemming and hawing, she decided on the lightning.
So, to start out, I love that shade of blue for this art. That deep, rich blue, with the rich shimmer/shine/glow to it, is perfect. It's also a color I don't have in my palette. However, I did manage a pretty darned good approximation! I laid down one coat of NYC Skin Tight Denim Creme, and layered one coat of China Glaze Frostbite over it. Look at the gloriousness that resulted!

Yeah, I think that's as close to the color we were going for as we were ever going to need. We mixed things up a bit for the accent nails, though. Instead of Frostbite, I put one coat of Pure Ice Strapless over the NYC polish. Then I sponged on a bit of Milani Whitest White, followed by a tiiiiny sponging of Pure Ice Splash. A nail art brush with Whitest White produced the lightning (which I'm nowhere near as artistic with as Theodora was!) and I added tiny strips of Sally Hansen Celeb City here and there to add that touch of spark to the lightning bolts.





No comments:

Post a Comment