Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day Marbling

I actually did two Memorial Day manicures this holiday weekend. My best friend V was over and brought chicken for Mr. IJAH to grill. So in keeping with the patriotic holiday, the same polishes I used on my manicure got put on V's nails as well:

We started with a base of Milani Whitest White, taped off the center triangle, and then added dots of China Glaze Salsa, China Glaze Frostbite, and just a weee little bit of the Milani, and then used my tiniest dotting tool (which is really a pointed end like a toothpick, which would work just as easily, but wasn't as handy, since my dotting tools are right at my polishing "station" :) to swirl the colors together. Remove the tape, let it dry for a bit, and then we added stripes of Pure Ice Strapless and a franken that I put together after realizing that I don't actually own any red glitter polish! So I pulled out my little container of red glitter, a clear top coat, and an empty mini bottle (I bought a batch of 20 bottles from TKD for frankening fun!) and went to town. I also got into my daughter's makeup (yes, my eight year old has more makeup than I do, because I don't wear the stuff) and took a few scrapings of a red eyeshadow to put into the bottle to add a bit of red tint to the clear topcoat - you can't tell it's there if I didn't tell you about it, but you'd be amazed at the difference that the tiny bit of tint made in making the line of glitter look more like a solid line.

V and I were both really excited at how well the diamonds on the thumbs turned out, and she wants to try diamonds on all of her fingers the next time. She really loves the dry marbling effect, so I get to play with color combinations on her nails a lot. ^_^ She's got a job interview coming up this week, so stay tuned for what her nails will be sporting on that day!



No comments:

Post a Comment