Friday, October 5, 2012

"This is Halloween" Day 2 - Watermarble


Day 2 in the "This Is Halloween" Nail Art Challenge from Lacquer Dreams, and today's theme is watermarble. I love watermarble, but it's so much effort and so much clean-up, and there's invariably at least one nail that has to be wiped clean and re-done from scratch, that I just don't do it very often. So honestly, I'm quite happy when a challenge prompt requires it of me!

I started with a base layer of China Glaze Hook and Line for a nice, silvery color. Then I used China Glaze Smoke and Ashes, ChG Riveting, Sinful Colors Courtney Orange ), and last -but not least- China Glaze Ghoulish Glow to make the water marble. Though the Courtney Orange isn't on all my nails, as I couldn't really see the difference between it and Riveting after it was marbled, and it didn't spread well with the Ghoulish Glow at *all*, so I stopped using it after a bit.

Ghoulish Glow comes off as mostly transparent, of course, so that allowed the silver base color to shine through. I don't have any pictures of the glow-in-the-dark, though. I'll see if I can get some when I get home from work tonight, and I'll add them if they come out at all. :) I especially like the tiny stripes I got on the index finger here!




Have you ever had a plan set out for your nail art, and then realize after half of your nails are completed that you completely forgot a step that you had intended? I did that this time. I had intended to put a layer of Nubar 2010 down before the watermarbling...it makes such nice orange flakes over most colors! But I realized right after I dipped the first finger of my second hand that I'd completely forgotten it. So all the pictures above, and the pinky finger below, don't have it. But for the rest, you can clearly see the orange flakes on the silver, under the "clear" Ghoulish Glow. I tried for the tiny stripes again on the index finger, but I couldn't get them quite as thin.

This hand made me scratch my head several times, wondering How the heck did that happen? The huge black area on my thumb, for instance, and the fact that the pinky finger looks like I dipped it twice, which I didn't. (I did re-do two fingers on my left hand, but I took the polish off completely and started over on them!)




Go check out all these other gorgeous entries to the challenge!

2 comments: